Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Hats off to decorum

You know, it isn't all about the Bochurim not having a clue. Unfortunately, the basis for their actions comes from parents, teachers and mentors, as well as a general lack of concern from the masses. let me explain.

The issue of young men wearing their hats back with the brims up is one that gets my goat for some reason. I think it has to do with the fact that when I was a kid growing up, out of respect one wore his hat forward with the brim down. After shul, when walking on a hot day, the hat might be pushed back a bit, but that was all. You never saw anyone walking with their brims up.

Now you go into shuls and you see some, not all, Rebbeim, Rishei Yeshiva and Yeshiveshe Youngeliet with their hats back. Sometimes you even see some Balle Battishe men who want to identify with the youth doing the same. I think they look ridiculous and childish as well, but the real point it, it s a lack of respect for the shul, the community, and themselves.

If you wear a uniform, wear it well and wear it proudly. an untucked white shirt sort of defeats the purpose, and a hat at a jaunty angle, with an unkempt undressed look does no good for the image or the persona you are trying to impart or emulate. I think it is terrible that this has been allowed to go on.

An even bigger problem is when the hats are worn this way at the Amud, then it is an unforgivable offense to the shul, Tzibbur and the One you are davening in front of. A person would not go into his boss looking unkempt like that, much less a person in power, so why do these people feel that they can do it in front of G-d?

In my perfect world, these kids ( and adults) would not be allowed to lead. Once I told a kid to put his brim down. He refused. I have never asked him to daven again.

However, this problem has a flip side as well, and that shall be addressed in our next post.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog start and a great post!
    If I didn't know any better, I'd think it was written by my husband!
    You might want to suggest to the next young man who wears his hat with the brim up on Shabbos that he should be concerned about being "over" on the melocho of "hotzo'o", because he is not wearing the hat "b'derech malbush". Speak his language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are a bit too fixated on nonsense. Your blog is aptly named. Stop ranting.

    ReplyDelete